Compliance is not a point-in-time achievement. It is a due diligence process that operates and evolves over time. To achieve ongoing due diligence, the process of Risk Management must be applied through monitoring and correcting security controls when they are ineffective at reducing risk.
HALOCK can help you establish the processes for monitoring and addressing risks to your organization. Using Risk Management, you can ensure that risk owners are accomplishing their assigned tasks and provide easily maintained metrics for demonstrating that security and compliance investments are “reasonable and appropriate.” Based on ISO 27001 and NIST 800-30, HALOCK’s Risk Management methodology is practical and scalable—it is easily applied in most organizations regardless of size or complexity.
The benefits of HALOCK’s Risk Management approach include:
- Facilitates “buy in” across IT/Legal/Compliance/Finance/Audit on what the risks are and where financial investments should be made.
- Quantifies risk in terms that senior management collectively defines.
- Supports collaboration among senior management to focus on risks that matter to the organization and alerting management when risks increase to unacceptable levels.
- Supports collaboration among audit, operations, and compliance functions to ensure that internal oversight is based on commonly defined “reasonable and appropriate” compliance and security goals.
- Ensures that risk assessments are addressed and updated on an ongoing basis rather than by conducting challenging annual assessments.
- Drives management who own risks toward security and compliance behaviors using measurable targets.
- Links security and compliance performance to “reasonable and appropriate” metrics.
- Demonstrates “due diligence” through a “Process Book” that organizes and records regular oversight by management.
- Develops metrics for current-state and future-state risk treatment to chart progress over time.
This article originally appeared on halock