by Scott Clark
Poor ethics can sap business productivity, so follow my Ten Commandments of Ethical Business Behavior:
1. Be honest, truthful, forthright, candid and sincere.
2. Have integrity: Strive to be scrupulous.
3. Keep your word and abide by the spirit as well as the letter of the law.
4. Maintain fidelity: Be faithful and never disclose confidential information.
5. Always be fair: Demonstrate a commitment to justice, with equal treatment of all.
6. Care for others: Be kind.
7. Respect others in every way.
8. Be a responsible citizen. Obey just laws and protest unjust ones.
9. Rigorously pursue excellence. Never be content with mediocrity.
10. Always be accountable: good leaders lead by example.
The consequences of lost ethics are summed up well in an ancient Chinese proverb, “He who sacrifices his conscience to ambition burns a picture to obtain the ashes.”